A Guide to Penn State Beaver For Students, Parents and Guardians
At Penn State Beaver, faculty members not only teach but also serve as advisors to students. This means students are getting guidance from experts in any chosen area of study. Our small-campus environment makes learning more accessible due to small class size and frequent one-to-one interaction between faculty and students.
- Average class size: 25 students
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 18:1
- Full-time faculty members: 35
- Library access: Resources are available from Penn State’s 24 locations as well as all the other Big Ten universities.
- W-Fi: The entire campus is Wi-Fi enabled.
For more information, please visit Academics.
Center for Academic Achievement
The Center for Academic Achievement (CAA) offers a variety of student services, including professional and peer tutoring, textbooks, specialized software programs, a website with hundreds of tip sheets and mini lessons, and testing and other accommodations for students with documented disabilities. The CAA also provides a comfortable and quiet study environment.
- Peer and professional tutoring is available in almost every course offered on campus.
- Tutoring services are free and available to all students.
- Writing assistance is available to help students who are working on papers and essays in various disciplines.
For more information, please visit CAA.
There's a lot to do outside the classroom at Beaver campus. Varsity (intercollegiate) sports, intramurals, student government, and classroom outreach through community service are just a few of the activities that keep students busy. Students have great opportunities to become involved with Beaver campus and the surrounding communities and can develop excellent leadership skills.
- More than 15 clubs, organizations, and co-curricular activities are available, including Big Brothers, Big Sisters; The Roar student newspaper; Student Government Association, and much more.
- On- and off-campus events and activities are offered every week.
- Comedians, bands, and speakers chosen by students perform on campus throughout the year.
- Trips for students allow for travel to downtown Pittsburgh, Penn State football and hockey games, New York City, Washington, D.C., and abroad!
- Study abroad opportunities are available in more than 50 countries. In the past, students have traveled with faculty to numerous countries, including Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, Turkey, and Ireland.
For more information, please visit Student Life.
Did you know?
Penn State’s dance marathon, known as THON, is the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. Since 1977 THON has raised more than $114 million for the Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital. Every year Penn State Beaver participates in this fight against pediatric cancer in a variety of ways, including fundraising. The project culminates in a 46-hour dance marathon to fight cancer and fund cancer research "For the Kids!"
Penn State Beaver police are full-time, professional University police officers who are on campus 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. The officers' primary goal is to ensure the safety of all campus community members. Every Beaver campus police officer is certified by the Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Commission. Police call boxes are located throughout campus and escort services for female and male students are available upon request.
- Police officers maintain daily crime logs, which are open to the public, as well as campus crime statistics.
- Through the program known as Operation Identification, police officers help students by marking valuables to deter theft and to aid in the recovery of lost or stolen items.
For more information, please visit Campus Safety.
Penn State Beaver’s Harmony Hall residence hall accommodates 212 students, providing a safe and comfortable environment in which residents live, learn, and build lifelong friendships. Harmony Hall offers numerous daily student life activities for its residents.
- Well-furnished are rooms equipped with a bed, dresser, desk, a combination microwave-refrigerator, and more.
- Free cable and Internet access is available in every room.
- Weekend events and activities are plentiful.
- Professional and student staff members provide guidance and supervision around the clock.
- Harmony Hall is just 20 minutes from the Pittsburgh International Airport and several minutes from all major roadways.
For more information, please visit Residence Life.
Almost 75 percent of our students choose to live at home and commute to campus. Beaver's convenient location in Monaca, Center Township, makes it quick and easy to attend class, get to work, run errands, and drive to and from campus and home.
- There is plenty of free on-campus parking available day and night.
- The campus is located just minutes from Interstate 376 and all main roadways.
- Beaver is just 40 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh.
For more information, please visit Commuters.
Penn State Beaver students have the opportunity to participate in varsity (intercollegiate), intramural, and club sports. Both resident and commuter students are always welcome to use the athletic and recreational facilities on campus, including a state-of-the-art wellness center, fitness and yoga studio, weight room, and sand volleyball court.
All varsity athletic teams belong to the Pennsylvania State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
Men's Varsity Teams
Women's Varsity Teams
Soccer, flag football, arena football, basketball, bowling, kickball, dodgeball, table tennis, and more!
Did you know?
The Penn State Beaver Fightin’ Beavs inline hockey team plays in the Western Pennsylvania Collegiate Roller Hockey League (WPCRHL) against local colleges and universities, including the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, Robert Morris University, Duquesne University, and Slippery Rock University.
For more information, please visit Athletics.
Jobs and Internships
Penn State offers outstanding career services resources, a world-renowned alumni association of more than 580,000, and excellent academic programs and degrees, all of which lead to a demand for Penn State students for internships and jobs. Our faculty and staff work with our students during placement and guide students in how to make the best impression by conducting mock interviews, resume-building workshops, etiquette sessions, and more.
- Penn State Beaver has a full-time career counselor on staff.
- On-campus resources and events help students find internships and jobs
- Previous student internships have been served with a vast array of companies, including the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Pittsburgh Pirates, Bayer, FedEx, Rue 21, BNY Mellon, and more!
For more information, please visit Career Services.
From their first day on campus, students have an opportunity to become involved in undergraduate research. Conducting research with professors allows students to utilize what they learn in class as well as build their resume with real-world experience.
- Research opportunities are available in numerous disciplines.
- Students can become published authors alongside professors in a variety of fields.
For more information, please visit Research.
Be social and get connected!
Connect with current students, faculty, staff and alumni and receive admissions, student life, and athletics updates.
Follow @PennStateBeaver to get instant access to campus events and activities and to receive student life and athletic updates. Don't miss what's trending on campus!
See one-of-a-kind views of campus on Instagram @PennStateBeaver. Stay updated on campus events and activities and connect with current students and alumni.
Take a virtual tour of campus and check out the facilities and programs at Penn State Beaver.
Live chat with us using Google+ Hangouts by searching Penn State Beaver. Connect with current students, faculty, staff and alumni.
Add PSU_Beaver_Admissions to ask get the information you need by talking directly with staff members in the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.
To find answers to the most frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Penn State Beaver, please visit FAQ.
- Nontraditional Students
- Financial Aid