Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

  Chemical or Radioactive Spill

Because of the ever-increasing concern about hazardous material (Haz-Mat) incidents and such legislation as the SARA Title III Law, it is important that all faculty and staff understand the following section and report all hazardous material spills, no matter how minor they appear to be. Many incidents have become disasters because of a lack of concern, no incident report, and/or improper initial handling of the situation.

Any spillage of a hazardous chemical or radioactive material must be reported immediately to University Police at extension 3888 from a campus telephone or 724-773-3888 from a non-campus telephone. Please carefully follow the steps listed below:

  1. When reporting, be specific about the nature of the involved material and exact location. University Police will contact the necessary specialized authorities and medical personnel.
  2. The key person on site should vacate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination of other areas until the arrival of University Police.
  3. Anyone who might be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity, and give their names to University Police. Required first-aid and cleanup by specialized authorities should begin immediately.
  4. If an emergency exists, activate the building fire alarm system. Report the emergency by telephone immediately.
  5. All procedures for evacuating buildings should be followed.
  6. Under no circumstances is anyone to re-enter the affected area until advised to do so by the Haz-Mat team, fire department, University Police, or a University official.