Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Where can I learn more about becoming an international student at Penn State?

For information, please visit Penn State Global Programs. This website will answer all or most of your questions. Be sure to visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section.
If you still have questions or need assistance in any way, please contact the Penn State Beaver Office of Student Affairs, 724-773-3951, or the Student Activities Office, 724-773-3959.

As an international student, what can I study at Penn State Beaver?

The answer to this question depends on your major. Penn State has a program called the "2 + 2" program. This allows you to begin the first two years of your degree at Beaver campus, then move to another Penn State location to complete the final two years of your degree. Another option you may choose is to stay at Beaver campus to complete one of our five baccalaureate (four-year) degrees.
 For more information, please visit Undergraduate Admissions to learn more about selecting a Penn State campus, the "2 + 2" program, and your options. Visit us at www.beaver.psu.edu or contact us at 1-877-JOIN-PSU or br-admissions@psu.edu.

What type of visa do I need to attend Penn State?

Most of Penn State's international students have F-1 or J-1 student visas. Both of these are non-immigrant visas, which means the student is expected to return to his/her home country at the completion of his/her program of study. There are also other visa options a student may consider, but F-1 and J-1 are the recommended options.
For more information, please visit Penn State Global Programs.

When should I apply for a visa?

Once you have accepted your offer of admission to Penn State, you will begin the process of receiving your I-20 and applying for your student visa. For information about requesting your I-20, please visit Penn State Global Programs.

Can I participate in sports on campus?

Yes! You are welcome to be a part of campus athletics! Penn State Beaver has eight varsity (intercollegiate) teams as well as many intramural sports. To learn more, please visit our Athletic Department.

What kind of on-campus housing is available?

Harmony Hall, a traditional-style residence hall, is located on campus and can house 210 students. Basic information about your bedding and other housing needs will be provided when you arrive. In addition, there are plenty of shopping facilities near the campus in case you need to make any purchases. For more information, please visit us at Residence Life.

What is there to do on campus?

Throughout the year, the Office of Student Activities hosts a wide range of events on campus, and you can become involved in plenty of clubs, organizations, and varsity and intramural sports teams. The campus is close to downtown Pittsburgh, which offers numerous entertainment, athletic, and cultural opportunities.
For more information, please visit the Office of Student Activities.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes! Health insurance is mandatory for Penn State international students. For more information about how to obtain health insurance and to learn what is expected of you, please visit us at Health Services.

What immunizations do I need to receive before attending Penn State?

Domestic and international students are required to have certain immunizations prior to attending Penn State. For international students, the required immunizations include those for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Tuberculosis (TB) testing for foreign-born students at high risk for TB is also required.

Pennsylvania law states that all students living in Penn State housing must be immunized against meningococcal disease or they must complete a waiver of exemption. For more information about immunization requirements for international students, please visit Health Services.

What is the weather like at Penn State Beaver? What should I bring to prepare for the weather?

Penn State Beaver is located in southwestern Pennsylvania, which has four distinct seasons of winter, spring, summer, and fall. These seasons can include snow, rain, low or freezing temperatures, high temperatures, mild temperatures, humidity, dry air, cool air, and sunshine. You will need clothing to accommodate the changing seasons. You will also need professional clothing for interviews and special occasions on or off campus. Rain protection, such as an umbrella and a heavy coat, and cold weather protection, such as a heavy coat, hats, gloves, and scarves, are necessities.
Students have access to multiple shopping facilities near campus. If you do not have what you need when you arrive, we will be happy to help you determine what purchases need to be made.


Other Frequently Asked Questions & Topics

Financial Aid & Tuition
Life on Campus
International Students
Adult Learners
Transfer Students
Dual Enrollment/JumpStart 

Do you have a question that isn't anwered here? Please contact the Admissions and Student Aid Office at 1-877-JOIN-PSU, br-admissions@psu.edu, on AOL Instant Messenger (BRAdmissions), or on Skype at Penn.State.Beaver. We'll be happy to help you.