Harmony Hall and the Brodhead Bistro are closed during fall break and spring break as well as the holidays between fall and spring semesters. During these closings, students must find alternative accommodations.
- Thanksgiving Break: Saturday, November 21 - Sunday, November 29, 2015
- Winter Break: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - Sunday, January 10, 2016
- Spring Break: Saturday, March 5 - Sunday, March 13, 2016
Penn State is not responsible for finding alternative accommodations for you during these breaks but, if necessary, we can help you find a place to stay. For information or assistance, please contact Jill Bender, staff assistant, Office of Residence Life, 724-773-3959.
For students who are unable to return to their homes, there are several alternatives available to you.
1. Go home with a friend or roommate.
- Many international students quickly make friends with students who live in Harmony Hall and/or students in their classes.
- Some international students have the opportunity to spend a week staying with their friend(s) during these closings.
- Please note that Penn State is not responsible for making these arrangements for you. You and your friend(s) must plan this together.
2. Travel and/or stay in a hotel or motel.
- Some international students like to travel during campus closings and/or stay in an area hotel or motel.
- For assistance in finding lodging and/or making travel arrangements, please contact Jill Bender, staff assistant, Office of Residence Life, 724-773-3959.
- Please note that each student is responsible for paying all of his/her travel and lodging fees.
3. Stay with a host family arranged through Global Pittsburgh (www.globalpittsburgh.com).
- Penn State Beaver is a member of Global Pittsburgh, a non-profit organization that helps to connect international students in and around the Pittsburgh area.
- This program provides a variety of opportunities, one of which is finding a host family for you to meet and/or to live with temporarily.
- Please note that there is a fee associated with this service, but it's significantly lower than expenses you would incur if you stayed in a hotel or motel.
- If you're interested in learning more about this option, please contact Jill Bender, staff assistant, Office of Residence Life, 724-773-3959.